Role models are important in all our lives. They help us become the person we want to be and inspire us to make a difference.
(From Wikipedia: A role model is a person whose behaviour, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, especially by younger people. The term “role model” is credited to sociologist Robert K. Merton, who coined the phrase during his career.)
I do not have a role model right now, but there are many people from whom I have learnt a lot and do look-up to them. Given below are some of the people I’d like to mention, who have made a positive impact on my life.
My family members: My grandfather and my parents influenced me a lot when I was young; I always wanted emulate them. In that sense they were my role models. My grandfather was very meticulous and organized; I have taken up some of that quality from him. My mother was a highly creative person, whatever she touched, she excelled. She was super at cooking, knitting, stitching, embroidering, and what have you! She had great language skills (Marathi, Sanskrit, and Bengali), published 8 books, composed songs, and wrote poetry: the list is endless! And although I am not that prolific, I have picked up at least some of her enthusiasm for being a creative person. On the other hand, my father was a quiet engineer, a voracious reader (was encyclopaedic!), played golf, and bridge. He was a level headed and a very rational person. In many tough situations, I try to think like him, and say to myself, “Hmm…, what would Baba have done?”
People whom I have not met: Many may say that Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Page, etc. are their role models. I will not say that because I have not met them.
Here is my list of Indians who should definitely be role models:
- Sachin Tendulkar for achieving what he has! It definitely requires tremendous mental strength, concentration and discipline to get that kind of score!
- Film stars and public persona, especially women, who have great talents, such as Madhuri Dixit, Mary Kom, Sania Mirza. As a woman I can understand what grit and determination it must have taken them to reach where they are.
- Narasimha Rao, and others responsible for liberalizing India, Narayan Murthy, APJ Abdul Kalam, Azim Premji, for creating opportunities and making a generation of self-believers and entrepreneurs in India.
People whom I know: There are people who have touched my life and I admire them for that. And feel that I should pick up some of their qualities at least.
- UG: a CEO of a company. She has boundless energy and enthusiasm for her work; her patient and perseverance is truly amazing!
- SJ: a person having his own start-up. Very calm and cool headed, treats all his employees with so much gentle care, and respect, it is worthy of appreciation.
- P-bai: my housekeeper. Every day she comes to my house with a smile on her face, and does her work with complete honesty, integrity and abundant energy. Her attitude and dedication towards her work is exemplary!
- Some of my teachers: Their sincerity and boundless energy for teaching, and even bettering themselves every day, is way ahead at the top. Some of their mental agility and quickness in thinking is inspiring!